The shift from analogue to digital not only offers listeners more flexibility. It also generates many new opportunities for advertisers, from extra reach via digital channels to claiming relevant domains. FD Mediagroep has been offering advertising solutions for Digital Audio for a while now, a phenomenon that is gaining in importance now that audio content (including BNR’s) is no longer being consumed traditionally, analogously, and at set moments during the day.
Digital listening, from live streaming to online playback, has expanded the target audience. We already mentioned that podcasts attract a significantly younger audience. These are not the same people who listen to the FM or DAB+ radio in their cars. As such, they represent additional reach on top of the half million listeners who tune in to BNR’s live programming every week.
It was (and is) generally consumed with a great deal of attention, much more so than other radio stations. This is even more true for this new target audience, with listeners specifically interested in certain podcasts and topics. Which they then listen to intently, often with headphones or earphones, and without any form of distraction.
This and more is shown by a recent survey into the consumption of BNR content on all kinds of devices, at any moment, and in any location. Five important facts:
- 67% of total BNR reach listens live and analogue, preferably on the road
- 30% of BNR listeners also do so digitally (podcasts, video & audio on demand) and as such represent an added reach potential on top of a traditional radio campaign
- 10% of the total BNR audience only listen to podcasts and can therefore be reached there exclusively
- 78% of all BNR listeners listen with great attention, more so than any other radio station
- 36% of all on-demand listeners use earphones or headphones; 83% listen with full attention (usually uninterrupted)
For advertisers, all of this means that not only are there more ways to communicate a message, but they can also reach a (virtually entirely) new target audience as well. To achieve optimum reach, we recommend launching cross-media campaigns that deploy multiple FD channels. In an increasingly digitalised world, radio spots are still effective, but Digital Audio can and should not be missing from the marketing mix.